Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thoughts on "Christian" music and burritos

In a day when it’s not odd to hear the car next to you blaring “Teenage Dream” (hey it could be coming from this guy’s car too), it becomes increasingly important to observe what Jesus followers are actually singing. Singing is a God-given way we can all tell ourselves, each other, and the world what we’re passionate about. For me, singing has always been sort of routine or habit, if you will. I wake up and there’s usually a melody or something I’m humming or singing too. I’m reading...listening to music. I’m exercising...listening to music. I’m sitting in a coffee shop...listening to music. We always have some song floating in our minds.

With this being said...

Lately, the “Christian” music scene has taken a bad rep for it’s fluffy or self-centered lyrics...and rightly so. You know...like we could be singing songs that would be completely appropriate to sing to our girlfriend or boyfriend- and yet we’re singing them to the man, Jesus Christ. Have we ever paused to ask, ‘If Jesus walked into the room is this what I would want to say to him?’ (if Jesus did...I’m not quite sure I’d really say anything). Our Savior is a man who spoke the truth, lived homeless, and died the worst death possible. He is one tough dude. He is so worthy of our worship and the best we can give.

With this being said...

Do we actually need to label music as Christian or is it just music? Like...what makes a song Christian? What I mean is...do you call a burrito a Christian burrito? Or is it just a burrito? Is the burrito Christian because the person rolling up the tasty goodness follows Jesus? I’d say no. Maybe we should think about songs like- is this what Jesus would want me sing to him? Is this song honest? Does it reflect the sincerity and message of what Jesus preached? Maybe for too long, we’ve written terrible lyrics and then dropped “Jesus” in the song and all of a sudden we’re calling it Christian. Honestly, I hear more songs these days outside of the Christian music industry that would seem more “Christ-like” then those under the label. Over the years, I’ve been guilty of choosing songs without putting a second thought to what we’re actually singing about. So listen carefully to the music not under the Christian label, it may be more of what Jesus would want said than those wearing the label.

It all comes back to the sincerity of the heart. Vaughan Roberts says “When it comes down to it, if music could take us into God’s presence,”God would have sent a musician rather a savior.” Meaning, Jesus is our mediator to the Father. The Holy Spirit enables us to approach his throne as his children to praise Jesus and and honor the Father. So in all my cynicism and ramblings, Jesus can be worshipped because He is God and music is not.

Ok, I’m done for now...

2 comments:

  1. Music shouldn't be labeled Christian. This line of thought is something I'm particularly passionate about. I'm reading a great book on the topic called "The Rock & Roll Rebellion: why people of faith abandoned rock music--and why they're coming back" by Mark Joseph. I'll lend it to you when I'm finished if you're interested.

    Art and music are gifts from God. They are a lens through which we can see glimpses of His beauty, creativity and truth. When we try to create a (business) model to contain that emotional beauty (i.e. CCM) it generally comes out flat or at least limited in it's breadth.

    Christian musicians should be willing to validate their full range of emotions and experiences through their music, and allow His Spirit to do the speaking.

    Good thoughts, Chad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, J. I'd love to read this book.
    The Holy Spirit doesn't contain us to a label. He gives us the freedom to express our originality through the lens of the gospel.

    ReplyDelete